January 21, 2011

What I'd tell my 20 year old self

I don't know if it's because my birthday is almost here or because this year will be ten years since I graduated high school or because my little brother will graduate high school this year but lately, I've been thinking about what I would tell my 20 year old self, if I had the chance. Do you ever think about that?

I'd tell myself that things are going to get much, much worse before they get better but that in the midst of all that "worse", there is enough good to make the "worse" more bearable. I'd spend more time with my grandpas, be more appreciative of my parents and stop thinking I needed to sleep so much. I'd enjoy my body more (cause y'all, I had a smokin' bod!) and get something crazy pierced.

I would tell me to challenge myself and to face my fears, to do something scary every chance I got because that is how you grow; when you conquer something you didn't think you could, when you stare in the face of scary shit and come out on the other side. I'd also tell myself to not waste time worrying about what others thought of me because it's not worth it. The only opinion that truly matters is your own and the faster you realize that, the better. Because once you realize it, you can start to live your life for yourself and you realize that you have to make yourself happy before you can make anyone else. This knowledge is so freeing and  I wish I had known this when I was 20.

I'd tell myself that life is fleeting, even though at 20, you don't see that. At 20, you don't think about how quickly life will start to pass you by. You don't realize that if you don't take a chance now, you just might miss it and spend an insane amount of time regretting that. You can't see that the ENTIRE world is stretched out in front of you and that it is yours for the taking. The world is truly your oyster. Make it beautiful, make it wondrous, make it yours.

Then I'd emphasis this for my smokin' hot 20 year old self- make time for those that you love, practice what you preach and never, never stop asking Why Not?

What would you tell your 20 year old self?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! There is a ton of advice I'd love to give my 20 year old self :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would tell myself that there is light at the end of the tunnel and although going through IF sucks and is horrible, it did lead us to adoption and without that we would not have our son. There are so many other things I would tell myself too.

    ReplyDelete